More specifically, the objectives of this research area are:
- An improvement in the electrical network management:
• The definition of smart electricity distribution grids based on ICT concepts.
• To enable the integration and management of renewable energy sources to the grid.
• To improve security, efficiency and quality of energy supply.
- An improvement in efficiency in energy consumption in buildings and their surroundings, defining ICT-based infrastructures and systems:
• The definition of ICT-based Demand Response services.
- An improvement in energy efficiency in ICT sector:
• To study the impact of energy consumption in the use-phase of ICT equipment.
• An improvement in the energy efficiency of data centres, broadband equipment and external power supplies.
The most representative project in this area is “DENISE” (Intelligent, secure and efficient energy distribution) project, carried out in collaboration with Endesa Servicios. The objective of this project is to establish the main issues of a smart, safe and efficient electricity distribution network. By means of these networks, utilities will be able to offer new services such as Demand Response, Dynamic Pricing and Energy Management to their customers.